Friday, March 18, 2016

Grandma Wingard

We traveled back to Decatur this week to say goodbye to my Grandma Wingard. Funerals are always sad occasions, but at the same time it was great to see so many Wingard family members that I haven't seen in many, many years. My dad is the oldest of 9 children, and almost all of them have children of their own, who have children of their own. We are a big group when we're all together! My Grandma left behind quite a legacy. This also marked the first time that my whole immediate family has been together since our boys and my newest niece Gabby were born. I loved that we were able to spend time together and meet each other's children while they were still babies!

My cousin Erin wrote a wonderful eulogy and had asked me to share some memories with her so she could incorporate them into her tribute. This is what I wrote:

I have such fond memories of time spent at Grandma's house. Time seemed to slow down there. It was always quiet and relaxing and cozy in her living room. I can vividly remember hearing the tick tock of a clock while we sat quietly on her velour couch in the living room and talked about what was new and happening with the family. She was very proud of her large family and it showed through the dozens upon dozens of pictures that lined her walls, fireplace mantle, and hallways. We looked at the pictures around her house hundreds of times over the years.  She had so many pictures that she started overlapping them- the newest great grandchild's school picture would partly cover up their mom or dad's senior photo from high school.  :)

I remember apple picking parties in her front yard so she could make the year's crop of apple butter and pies. And I remember bonfires in the backyard when all her kids would get together to help with yard work and to get her garden ready for planting. It always seemed like there was something going on at Grandma's house. Even if we randomly stopped by- it seemed that one or more of her kids would have the same idea. Sundays were probably a revolving door for houseguests as all her kids and grandkids came to visit. 

I loved how her Pennsylvania accent brought out the Pennsylvania accent in all her kids (even those who never lived in Pennsylvania). She was "Mum" to everyone. And we heard "yunz" a lot growing up! "Yunz, be careful climbing that tree!" "Yunz, come and eat something." And after dinner, there was always "warshing" to do. :)

I didn't get to spend as much time with her as an adult after I moved away, but I will always have fond memories of spending time with her as a child.

As we collected photos to share at her visitation, I was reminded once again of how important it is to capture memories. The photos we have of Grandma help us remember who she was...I want to be sure my own children have the same fond memories of time spent with their family growing up. Having said that, I have lots of photos to share from our trip back to Decatur:

Grandma with baby boy #4 (my dad is the tall dark haired one in the back)

Grandpa and Grandma Wingard with my Dad as a baby!
How I always remember her















Emry turned 2 on Sunday!


















All but 2 of my first cousins made it home!
The 9 Wingard kids
Wingard party of 17



















1 comment:

Jess H said...

You're dad hasn't changed, except for the hair color. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Grandma's are indescribable blessings. Some of my favorite extended family pictures have come from similar gatherings and are such important reminders, indeed. Big hugs to all of you!

New Blog Location!

I realized today that I never posted a link to my new website. I’ve decided to try out a new, easier to find website and am now blogging ove...