Thursday, December 15, 2016

Stomach Bugs

We are in the midst of sickness in the Mason house. Cooper woke up sick on Sunday, seemingly got better, but then got bad again on Tuesday morning. Poor buddy couldn't keep any food down. On Tuesday morning I checked in on the boys on their dropcam while I was at work and found that Will was giving Cooper a bath thanks to vomit and diarrhea overnight. While Will was in the bathroom with Cooper I watched Griffin throw up in his crib. Exactly how it started for Cooper.  A quick call to their pediatrician confirmed that there is nothing they can do for a stomach bug besides ride it out. Needless to say, I left work early to help Will tend to 2 sick babies. We spent the day giving them small amounts of pedialyte every 10 minutes to prevent dehydration and letting them have a few oyster crackers here and there. Thankfully neither of them threw up the rest of the day...but I wasn't so lucky. My stomach had been bothering me most of the day, too, but I assumed it was from the (multiple) Christmas cookies I ate on my way to work...and then the piece of cake I had when I got to the office. 'Tis the season. I laid down during the boys second nap to try and sleep away my upset stomach. That didn't work, and I joined the stomach bug party that's infected our home. Amazingly both Wills have remained resilient and haven't caught anything yet, though we've been treating baby Will as though he has, just in case. I think Griffin didn't get as bad as Cooper because we caught it early and kept food away from him- nothing going in means little to come out! Our pediatrician said it was perfectly ok to keep them from solids for a day while they are getting past a virus, and that it will work its way through the GI tract so to get ready for full diapers. 

The boys seem to be doing better. We let them come downstairs for dinner last night and let them have more than a 1/2 oz of pedialyte at one time, along with some applesauce and crackers. No throw up before bed, but we'll see what their diapers hold for us this morning. My illness is following the same pattern so hopefully I'll start feeling better today, too! If how I have felt the last couple days is any indication of how the boys feel, then My heart breaks for them!! I hate seeing them sick. And I really hate the whining that goes along with them being sick. I know they can't help it, but it will drive you mad! 

Their 18 month check up is well-timed as we take them in today. This will be the first time that we'll be sitting in the "sick" waiting room for one of their group visits! Hopefully the bug has passed and we can get our house back in working order this weekend. My parents are coming to town and we have big plans to visit Santa!!

No comments:

New Blog Location!

I realized today that I never posted a link to my new website. I’ve decided to try out a new, easier to find website and am now blogging ove...