Thursday, April 16, 2015

Nursery Updates


We've been working on getting the nursery ready since the first week of March. Much to Will's dismay, I insisted that the babies' room get a fresh coat of paint. He HATES painting, and thought that the existing paint color (a light green) would work fine for a gender-neutral nursery (conversations for the nursery began before we learned that we were having all boys). Plus he knew that painting the nursery = work for him as I wouldn't be able to help due to the paint fumes.

But I have long-envisioned a light grey nursery with white furniture...and the expression happy wife, happy life rings true. :) Will actually spent his birthday starting to paint the nursery, with Cari helping out, too.
Out with the old green

In with the new grey

The room color turned out great, but we all agreed that the room would really pop if there was crown moulding around the ceiling. Fortunately Will's uncle Greg came to town for the gender reveal party and was able to help us Will and Cari put the moulding up. The crown moulding really did add a lot to the room.
Before crown moulding

After crown moulding- much better, right?
We debated a bit about how to line up the cribs in the room to maximize space before ultimately deciding to keep them lined up against the far wall. It's amazing how much bigger a room can feel when it's empty and you are hypothetically measuring out space for 3 cribs and a dressing changing table vs. actually having the pieces on hand! I think the 3 cribs lined up side-by-side makes the room look a bit like an orphanage...but a cute one! I love the chevron bedding, too! We still need to find curtains for the room. Moms who read this- what's your stance on blackout curtains in a nursery? A must-have? Or does it really not matter?

One potential line up, using the crib mattresses

The final decision- It's hard to get all 3 cribs in one shot!
The changing table is on the wall opposite the cribs- it fit perfectly in that spot!


Next projects: ordering a glider and a dresser for extra storage. It became pretty obvious after getting the cribs and changing table in place that there wasn't going to be room for another dresser in the room. This meant that we had to find one that would fit in the open space in the Jack and Jill bathroom attached to the boys' room. Luckily we found one at Target and had it shipped directly to us. That was the good news. The bad news? We had to assemble it ourselves. Ugh.
Ready to assemble (and still smiling)

Focused
Will makes fun of me because I often stick out my tongue or push my lips tightly together when I am concentrating hard on something. I had to catch him doing the exact same thing. :) 

Meanwhile, this is how I "helped"- by handing Will screws and observing my swollen legs and feet

I crashed after we got the frame built. Will stayed up and finished the drawers himself. It turned out great, and fits the space perfectly!

The last addition to the room was the glider. I knew I wanted a recliner glider and not a rocking chair, and also knew I wanted a bigger chair so that there would be room for feeding at least 2 babies at once...and for 3 toddlers to sit on our laps during bedtime stories. We found the glider we liked at a store, and then ordered it from a different store over the phone. A risky move, especially when we ordered a fabric color sight-unseen. Thankfully, the chair came in with no issues and the fabric color was pretty spot-on to what we envisioned. The chair, admittedly, takes up a lot more space in the room than we thought it would. It somewhat blocks the closet, but since it swivels I don't foresee that being a huge issue. It's very comfortable, though, which is good for me as I have a feeling I'll be spending quite a bit of time in this chair in the next few months!
New glider
Gives a good idea of how large the recliner actually is
The room is pretty tight, but it's cozy and will work well for now. We still need to find some wall art and a few other small pieces for the room, but all the big stuff is in place. Hard to believe the room will be in use soon!

1 comment:

Jess H said...

Meeep! It all looks so amazing! You have Will so well trained in such a short time of marriage. ;) We never had blackout curtains when Ben was an infant and though we do now, I think they have little bearing on how long he sleeps. Do be cautious of those blind cords as the babes grow and know that if you put drapes up within their reach, they might come down a time or two. I just love the color and the chevron and am excited to see what art you find.

New Blog Location!

I realized today that I never posted a link to my new website. I’ve decided to try out a new, easier to find website and am now blogging ove...