Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Adventures in Car Shopping

We survived round one of finding new cars for the Mason household. Will and I were both looking to buy new cars even before we learned about the Rice Krispies, so we'd been shopping around for awhile. But with the knowledge that we would have to find cars that would safely accommodate 3 infant car seats, our search changed pretty dramatically.

The Subaru Outback I had been eyeing was out of the question, and Will's desire to get another Audi sedan was no longer an option. Will is looking at a Suburban which will be our road trip/everyday car and should be large enough to hold not only 3 infants, but also all the stuff that 3 infants need. I wasn't sure what I wanted, so we did quite a bit of researching and narrowed it down to a couple options- either the GMC Acadia or the Honda Odyssey. 

We spent one evening several weeks ago checking out all 3 car options, with all 3 car seats in tow. We figured the best way to know if the seats would fit was to physically bring them along and see how they looked in the cars. I'm sure that was a first for our car salesman!

I admittedly did NOT want a minvan...just not quite ready to go full-on mom. But I knew from our research that the Odyssey was one of the top choices for not only moms of 3+ kids, but also moms of triplets. So while I really, really liked the Acadia, I felt it was in our best interest to at least entertain the idea of an Odyssey.

The biggest thing the Odyssey had going for it was the 3rd row. We could fit 2 car seats in the 3rd row, which freed up one bucket seat for an adult passenger. I liked that in case I ever wanted to ride in the back with the babies. BUT the 3rd row wasn't that much more spacious than the 3rd row of the Acadia, certainly not enough of a difference to justify getting the Odyssey. 

When it came down to it, we opted for the Acadia. It felt much more comfortable than the Odyssey and had a smoother drive. We were also able to get the Acadia with all-wheel drive, which is not always necessary living in the South, but has actually already come in handy!

We still have my Jetta, which I will continue to use as my daily driver to/from work until I physically can't fit inside of it any longer. We'll trade the Jetta in once we're ready to find Will's Suburban.

1 comment:

Jess H said...

LOTS of people at Ben's school have the Acadia and love it! Now we know all that ice you're getting is your fault. Have you had enough fun trying out the all wheel drive yet?

New Blog Location!

I realized today that I never posted a link to my new website. I’ve decided to try out a new, easier to find website and am now blogging ove...